Parliament Election Watch
As a partner of the National Election Watch (NEW) alliance, NEST carried out initiatives to check the educational, financial and criminal background of each of the contesting candidates of 14 parliamentary constituencies of Assam in the 2009 Parliament Election and publicized the findings for the benefit of the voters.
This exploration was done on the basis of the court affidavits filed by each of the candidates along with their nomination papers. These affidavits are carefully computerized, analyzed and shared with voters by holding two Press conferences before each phases of election in Assam. Once press conference was organized in Silchar and the other was organized in Guwahati Press Club.
Few Highlights are as follows
- In this election 25 political parties contested in 14 constituencies of Assam
- Mr. Ambu Bora, RCPI(R) was the eldest candidate (79 years) contesting in Gauhati constituency
- Mr. Pran Jyoti Borpatro Gohain, RWS, was the youngest candidate (26 years) contesting in Lakhimpur Constituency
- Only 9 candidates were women which was only 5.8% of the total candidates
- 48.4% candidates did not declare their PAN number in the court affidavit
- 22 candidates did not pass even the 10th standard of education, 17 passed 10th standard and 15 passed 12th standard only.
- 28 candidates had liabilities more than one lakh
- 14 corer patties contested from Assam in this election
- High degree of corer patty concentration was observed from the comparatively less developed North Bank of Brahmapurta and Barak valley constituencies
- Mr. Reginold V. Johnson, RSPS contesting in Tezpur constituency is the poorest candidate with Zero Asset.
- 31 candidates have assets less than one Lakh Rupees
- 14 Candidates with more than 10 Lakhs assets did not declare their PAN number
- Mr. Paban Singh Ghatowar, INC candidate contesting from Dibrugarh constituency declared two PAN numbers
- 11 candidates have criminal records. 4 of them have criminal records of serious nature
- Nowgong Constituency was a red alert constituency where 3 candidates with criminal records contested among themselves.
- Mr. Moni Kumar Subba, Mr. Sontosh Mohan Dev, Ms. Ranee Narah, Mr. Biren Singh Engti, Mr. Bijoy Krishna Handique (did not declare the value of his assets in 2004 election) and Mr. Rajen Gohain had more than one Lakh assets growth per month in the last 5 years.
- Mr. Moni Kumar Subba topped the list with 65.7 Lakh’s asset increase per month for last 5 years.